The CORINTHIC departed Gravesend on 25 May 1911 and arrived in Wellington via, Teneriffe, Capetown and Hobart, on 11 July 1911. Captain F. Hart was in command.

Transcribed from Dominion, 12 July 1911, Page 9



Shortly before 11.30 a.m. yesterday the Shaw-Savill mail steamer Corinthic arrived in the stream at Wellington from London, via way ports. After being granted pratique by the Port Health Officer (Dr. Pollen), the liner berthed at the King's Wharf at 1.25 p.m. A report of the voyage, supplied by the purser (Mr. R. H. Harris), states that the Corinthic left Gravesend at 6.23 p.m. on May 25, with 600 passengers on board, and experienced a fine passage down the English Channel. The steamer left Plymouth at 3 p.m. on May 27 in fine, clear weather, which lasted throughout the journey to Teneriffe, port being made on June 1at 4.30 a.m. A good number of the passengers availed themselves of the opportunity to go ashore, and spent an enjoyable time. Left Teneriffe for Cape Town at 2.58 p.m. on the same day. and had light to fresh north-easterly trades and fine weather to the Equator, which was crossed in 10deg. W. on June 7, and some good sport was held owing to a visit from "Father Neptune." After crossing "the line" the vessel experienced light to strong south-east, trades and moderate winds to Cape Town, arriving there on June 16 at 11.27 a.m. Thence she proceeded into dock, after which everyone went ashore. She left the South African port at daybreak the next day, thence to 47deg. S. and 100deg. E. experienced light to strong following winds, moderate to strong south-westerly swell, and fine, clear weather. From 100deg. E. to 120deg. E. she had fresh gales to strong winds with frequent hail squalls and high following seas, and from 130deg. E. to arrival at Hobart had fresh north-westerly winds, fine clear weather, and long south-westerly swell. She arrived at Hobart at 3.59 a.m. on June 6, where 240 passengers left for the various ports of Australia. After discharging 500 tons of cargo, she left at 7.58 a.m. tho following day, and experienced light to gentle easterly winds and fine, clear weather until arrival at Wellington.

Captain F. Hart is still in command, and has the following officers associated with him:—Chief, Mr. J. Thompson; first, Mr. J. Catloin; second. Mr. W. S. Hodgson: third, Mr. S. Hall; fourth, Mr. j. G. Hughan; surgeon. Dr. Curran; chief engineer, Mr. M. Hunter; second, Mr. J. Ferguson; third, Mr. J. McCann; fourth, Mr. W. Senbert; fifth, Mr. J. A. Hanson; sixth, Mr. Jas. Hill. Mr. J. Pritchard is chief refrigerating engineer, and Mr. J. A. Davies second. The boilermaker is Mr. W. F. Bright, Mr. R. H. Harris is purser, and Mr. F. Spence is chief steward.


It is probable that the Corinthic will leave Wellington for Lyttelton on Saturday or Sunday next. About the end of July, she might make Port Chalmers a port of call for Homeward loading.

In addition to the list of passengers published on July 6, (see below) the following joined the Corinthic at London:—Saloon—Miss J. C. Leader. Second Saloon- From Cape Town— Mr. and Mrs. Hadfield, Misses Hadficld (2), and Master Hadfield. Mrs. Stephens, Messrs. Moss, Stephens (3), Thompson. Third class - Mr. Beirne. Second saloon - From Hobart - Mr. J. F. Gray. Third class Mrs. Thompson and two children.



                                                                               From Dominion, 6 July 1911, Page 7.


Corinthic July 1911

Go to TOP

Copyright - Gavin W Petrie - 2015